Do you ever look at the landfill sites and think that Europe is far better than this?
It’s not like they don’t have landfills there, but not as much as India. The population is one key factor. However, we need to look at countries like Germany which has made recycling a common habit by rewarding its citizens with some cash every time they send a bottle, etc., for recycling.
Let’s understand the gaps in our Solid Waste Management, and how we can make it for good.
The State of Solid waste management in India
Did you know that out of 62 million tonnes of municipal solid waste generated per annum, only 43 million tonnes of waste is collected?
What’s more shocking is that only 11.9 MT of solid waste is treated & the rest 31 MT is dumped in landfills!
Probably that’s why you see so many landfills adding inches to them daily.
The one root cause of it is our excessive dependency on Centralized Waste Management. Let’s understand what it is.
Read Also: How GoClean makes your events eco-friendly?
Centralized Waste Management – The ‘outdated’ approach
Centralized Waste Management simply refers to sending all your waste to municipal trucks, and then they take care of the rest.
However, there are particular challenges to this waste management system!
- Our years-old ‘Different wastes, one pot’ approach makes it hard for the waste sites to separate the waste at the site.
This washes down all the possibilities of recycling, and thus, ultimately left to rot & undergo anaerobic decomposition to emit Greenhouse gasses.
- Here’s what Sushanth Gade, Senior Manager – Planning & Operations for Hyderabad Integrated Municipal Solid Waste (HIMSW) has to say about the gaps in our Centralized Waste Management — “In W2E technology, we increase the calorific value of the waste and then burn it to create energy. But, the waste that countries like India produce does not have the calorific value required to do this process because about 70% of organic waste is water.”
So what’s the solution for it? That’s where Decentralized Waste Management comes into the picture.
Decentralized Waste Management refers to the management of waste at the source, and eliminating the dependency on the municipal collection of garbage.
It includes the segregation of waste at the source and minimizes it if possible.
Here’s how it solves the problem:
- Segregation at the source ensures that the waste that is being sent to the landfills can be treated efficiently.
- Reducing it at the source with methods like giving your products to someone or composting the organic waste collected can actually help with problems like global warming & climate change.
Talking about composting, the institutions (schools/colleges, companies, temples, societies, etc.) who are one of the biggest contributors to organic waste, often face problem with adopting composting as a waste management solution.
It is mainly because the traditional composting methods takes time, space & efforts.
But what if we tell you there is a way with which these institutions can move towards a decentralized waste management model without much efforts.
GoClean Organic Waste Composter – Perfect Decentralized Waste Management Method
GoClean Organic Waste Composters are a modern tech by Clean India Ventures that help or have helped many societies, companies, temples, etc., to adopt composting as the ultimate solution for their organic waste management.
Here are some key features of our GoClean Composters:
- Converts organic waste into compost in 24 hours.
- 80% volume reduction of waste when compost is created.
- Automatic, hence, minimizes the need of manual efforts.
- Enclosed structure prevents bad odour from leaking out.
- Sturdy stainless steel body ensures to keep it safe from any potential damage.
Here are some notable places where our unit is installed & doing wonders in waste management.
Statue of Unity, Gujrat
Baba Baidyanath Dham, Jharkhand
Badrinath Temple, Uttarakhand
Govt. Officers’ Colony, Sector-14A (Noida)
JPRA Colony, Ghaziabad (UP)
Nigambodh Ghat, Delhi
Hunar Haat, UP
Time Residency, Sec-63 (Gurgaon)
Is your organization dealing with loads of organic waste on daily basis?
Help them move towards sustainability along with cutting down on waste treatment costs with GoClean Organic Waste Composters.
To know more, contact us!